Thursday 19 June 2014

Dress For The Job You Want

Writing the last post took a lot out of me.

More than I expected. Barely anyone has read it, which is fine, I don't expect to be an overnight success or anything but if the universe saw fit to grant that I wouldn't be mad but some of that stuff came from a pretty personal place, even if the advice therein is generally impersonal, so publishing it, even on a simple blog, felt like kind of a big deal.

Going over it brought a lot of things to the surface, and I had more trouble with the post than I expected, given that I have been working on that list offline for about three weeks.

So I was having a mild existential crisis over trying to really establish myself as a writer, after all, this is my first really serious attempt at creating, well, seriously, and I was feeling a bit morose at my prospects if I was having issues writing a fairly simple list about how to live well.

But luckily...

I was in the middle of editing the post when I realized I was going to be late to go watch some geriatrics get older so the friend who runs the home (it's a semi-private retirement home) could go do some errands.

Without pausing to think about it, I grabbed my coffee, threw on a coat and ran out the door.

I was about half-way down the block when I got distracted thinking about sub-plot for the book I'm trying to write and stepped in a puddle. It soaked the bottom third of my pant legs, so I rolled those up and continued on my merry way.

I was about half-way there when I realized that I looked ridiculous: 

  • There was a flowery mug full of cold coffee in my hand. Not a Go-Cup, a lidless mug. 
  • I had on a coat that is as comfortable as it is ugly, which is to say: Very. (It's about four sizes too big, is shapeless, and has the colour scheme of grey Uggs) 
  • My pant legs were rolled up to my knees, exposing stubbly legs (It's not that I don't shave, it's that I'm lazy about it)  and the tops of my ankle socks. 

Personally, I think I've got the whole "dressing for success" thing down rather well. I might be somewhat stereotypical of the absent-minded writer, (or possibly a hobo) but I've never felt more like a "real" writer in my life.

I suppose it isn't much, but it's the little things that keep a person going.